Vision and Visionaries


Strange exhibition at the Guildhall Gallery looking at the artists of the Visionary movement and how they have influenced 20th century and contemporary artists.

I must admit I never quite understood the theme. It never quite explained the Visionary movement except to say the artists were”dreamers where reality meets imagination” and they seemed to pick artists who I don’t associate together in my mind such as Blake, Rossetti and Constable. It didn’t help that I missed that some of the modern works were shown on the gallery above the main room!

There were some interesting works including two sets of prints by Blake, “The Bard” and “The Fatal Sisters”, designs for stained glass windows by Burne-Jones and a study for “The Guild of St Mary” by Rossetti. I’m still not sure how the oil sketch of Salisbury Cathedral fit the theme though.

Closes on 30 April 2019 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1