Scottish Artists 1750-1900

Interesting exhibition at the Queen’s Gallery looking at the relationship between the royal family and Scottish artists in the 18th and 19th centuries.

I saw this exhibition and reviewed it when I was in Edinburgh last year. I thought it was be interesting just to revisit that review and the show now it was in a different venue and see what stood out this time around.

I found the narrative of the show clearer in the Holyrood galleries as it was a smaller, slightly more divided space. The London galleries gave you a chance to stand back more from some of the works but somehow the space lost the story.

As before the section on Queen Victoria at Balmoral stood out and I still loved the watercolours of her servants by Kenneth MacLeay. This showing had a number of drawings which I didn’t remember from the earlier version including a lovely one by David Allan of the Piazza Navona in Rome.

Closes on 2 October 2016

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1