Gillian Wearing: A Room with Your Views

Wonderful video installation at the University of Brighton as part of the Brighton Festival by Gillian Wearing.

The video was a collaborative film using short clips of people sent to her by people all over the world of their curtains or blinds opening in the morning to reveal the view from their window. As part of its display in Brighton she had invited Brighton and Hove residents to take part.

You know I can often be rude about videos in art galleries but I loved this one. It gave a wonderful view of landscapes from around the world and had a uniting effect as opening our curtains, or in my case blind, in the morning is one of the first things we do and we all do it. Because the clips were so short you sat mesmerised to just see one more, then just another one. When Brighton scenes came on there was some pointing and smiling from the audience.

I wish I’d had longer to watch more of this and I don’t often say that about video art!

Closed 29 May 2016

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1