Brighton artists open houses weekend 1


The first weekend of the Brighton artists open houses and I managed to chalk up 18 in the Five Ways and Hove trails plus a few independents.

The highlight so far has to be Eve Shepherd who was showing amazing sculpture out at Woodingdean. Her star piece was a double statue of a boy called “Face Off” but I also loved her zodiac statues and have come back to count my pennies! The joy of the open houses is getting to meet and talk to the artists and Eve was very generous with her time.

I found the artist who had incorporated his wife’s ashes into a set of ceramic breast shape bowls a bit challenging. I thought it was a lovely gesture but I can’t imagine how he could let anyone else own any them.

Bargain of the weekend (and one of only 2 purchases) was a lovely little seascape by Royston Hawley at All Saints Church in Hove for £20! He had lovely works which I felt were really underpriced. For the quality of the work you could have added another nought! Royston be more confident you are doing great work!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1