The Forty Part Motet

Fabulous installation piece at the Fabrica Gallery in Brighton by Janet Cardiff.

It was part of the Brighton Festival and involved 40 speakers each playing one of the parts in Spem in Alium, a motel for 40 voices by Thomas Tallis.

This was such a magical experience. The first time it played through when I was there I just sat and listened with my eyes shut to the amazing blend of sound. It was so relaxing.

The next 2 times I walked round listening to the individuals voices and delighted in how different speakers came in an out of the arrangement. It was wonderful to hear a voice to come in unexpectedly behind you.

I also liked the fact that the talk before the performance was recorded too so as you walked round you heard quiet snippets of conversation. As I sing in a choir I recognised the conversation as true choir speak!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1