Charles I’s Collection : Its Creation and Dispersal

Lecture at the National Gallery on the collection of Charles I.

The lecture was in the ‘Wine and Nibbles’ series and was given by Norman Coady, a free lance art historian. It was a hot night which slightly threw the speaker but things improved as the air conditioning kicked in. It was a fascinating insight into the works acquired by Charles I either inherited, purchased or given to him as gifts. It was amazing how many great works of art were in England in the early 17th century. Despite the fact that I’ve always seen myself on the Parliamentary side in the Civil War, maybe if it hadn’t happened we would have an art gallery bigger than the Prado and Louvre put together!

I would like to have heard a bit more about the disposal of the works and reacquisition of some of them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1