Horace Walpole and Strawberry Hill

Really nice exhibition at the V&A looking the house Horace Walpole built in Richmond and the collection he kept in it.

I was fascinated to see how many of the works of art I had seen before on other exhibitions and then to realized that they had all been together at one point. It was a study both of a house and of a collector. It was lovely to see the Grinling Gibbons cravat made for Walpole again.

The house reopens to the public in September and I’ll be trying to go as soon as I can. The architecture looks so wonderfully silly and like an amazing Medieval fantasy.

I loved the ticket which had been issued to look round the house and the rules which went with it saying ‘no children’!

Reviews
Times
Daily Telegraph

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Courtauld summer school day 1

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint