The Lure of the East: British Orientalist Painting

Exhibition at Tate Britain which explores the responses of British artists to the Middle East between 1780 and 1930.

I must admit I went to this exhibition just because it was on and actually really enjoyed it. I loved the warm colours although I did feel the exhibition was more about the place than the artists.

The artist which most impressed me was John Frederick Lewis whose works included some wonderful detail. In his “A Frank encampment in the Desert of Mount Sinai” there were two wonderful dogs including a small one with a stick in its mouth. He also painted a wonderful picture in a Hareem with a wonderful tiled wall behind two female figure is lush fabrics.

However try as I might I don’t like William Holman Hunt. I just don’t like his colour palate.

A lovely surprise at the end was some 20th century pictures including one of Sarajevo by Stanley Spencer and a super David Bomberg of Jerusalem.

Reviews
Times
Daily Telegraph
Evening Standard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1